Airline TUI will open the second round of its MPL cadet scheme on 8 January, after announcing it in September 2023.
Four months after the first group of cadets started their training, applications are reopening to enable TUI to find its future B737 pilots.
With training for an airline transport pilot’s licence (ATPL) costing upwards of £90,000, TUI’s cadets will be in the enviable position of having the funding taken care of. This knocks down barriers to individuals across the country.
The 2023 intake of cadets are already well into their course, with 10 more having joined in December 2023. Completing several supernumerary flights (flying on the flight deck as observers from the jump seat), the early intake are now progressing through their ATPL theory exams.
This year applications will be open from 8th January at 9am until 31st January. TUI are encouraging applicants who have, “great communication and leadership skills, and have the ability to remain calm under pressure, resilience to work hard throughout a challenging course, and motivation to learn and ultimately develop into highly skilled professional pilots.”
To apply for TUI’s MPL Cadet Programme, there are a few requirements that need to be met:
- Be at least 18 years of age on or before 1st September 2024.
- Have at least five GCSEs including Maths, English and a Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or combined science) at grade C/4 or above, or
equivalent qualifications. Math must be at least a B/6.
- Be fluent in English (verbal and written).
- Be eligible to live and work indefinitely in the UK without additional approvals.
- Hold a valid passport which permits unrestricted worldwide travel.
- Be at least 1.58m (5ft 2in) tall.
- Able to swim 25m.
- Able to obtain a CAA issued Class 1 medical before commencing training.
- Before commencing training, complete referencing and pre-employment checks required for the issue of an airport security ID.
The course itself is 19 months long and includes phases of ground school and basic flying training before the cadets move onto intermediate and advanced flight training.
The MPL Cadet Programme includes the following:
- All course and training costs
- All upfront training and licence fees
- Accommodation from phase 2 onwards
- ATPL theory exam fees
- All required equipment such as manuals, iPad etc.
- Initial Class 1 medical
- Class 1 medical renewals during training
Cadets will be liable for:
- Personal travel
- Food and personal living expenses